Stop automatic updates on non-jailbroken Apple TV 4
With the rollout of Ian Beer’s exploit, the Apple TV 4 jailbreak is expected to be available in the future. The exploit will support the firmware up to tvOS 11.1. For this reason, If you want to get a jailbreak, you should manually restore to tvOS 11.1 right now, before it is unsigned.
After you downgrade to tvOS 11.version, you will need to struggle with Apple’s update policy. The Apple TV 4 is set to update automatically to the latest version in the background. Although you disable the update, it still automatically downloads the update silently, and then prompt you to install it. But, there is now a way to completely block all updates, update prompts, and background firmware downloads on your Apple TV. This method works with tvOS 9, 10 and 11 without requiring a jailbreak.
- An Apple TV 4
- A USB-C cable
- A Mac device
- Download Apple Configurator 2 from the Mac App Store
- The iOS 11 beta configuration profile
Steps to block updates on the Apple TV 4
- First, launch the Settings app on your Apple TV and then head to System > Software Updates, and check that Automatically Update is firmly turn off.
- Now download and launch Apple Configurator 2from the App Store on your Mac.
- Plug your Apple TV 4 into your Mac with the help of USB-C cable. Your TV will now appear in the Apple Configurator 2 window.
- Download the iOS 11 beta configuration profile, you can easily get it on the internet. Once done, drag the file onto the Apple TV in Apple Configurator.
- Agree to the terms and conditions of Apple Configurator, and a new prompt will now appear to continue the process.
- Simply hit Install on the next screen.
- Click on Next to proceed to the next page
- Press Install once more to continue the installation.
- Once done, you will be prompted to restart your Apple TV for applying changes.
- After your Apple TV boots up again, go to Settings > General > Profiles. If it’s not there, you need to try adding the profile again.
- Go to Settings > System > Software Updates and make sure Automatically Update is still Off. Now, choose Update Software at the top. If the method has worked, you will see there are no updates available.
- Finally, disconnect your Apple TV 4 from your Mac and get the features of tvOS 11.1 without worrying about any newer update in the future for your Apple TV.
Also see: How To Use Apple TV Remote In iOS 11
Revert your changes
If you to update your Apple TV again, reverting is so easy. To do so,
- Go to Settings> General > Profiles, and choose the iOS 11 beta profile.
- Select Remove Profile on the next screen.
- Confirm your choice by choosing Remove
- Reboot your Apple TV
- Now, launch Settings> System> Software Updates and check for the newer update.
That’s all on how to stop automatic updates on your Apple TV 4. If you have any trouble, let’s know in the comment below.